Friday, September 17, 2010

First week of work!

It has been a really busy and long week, but I am feeling so thankful that I am placed where I am.  I feel like I am learning so much, already, and have a very approachable supervisor, Mathew, who is helping to connect me to the Social Work community in Palmerston North.  He he has many years of experience in mental health social work, and has a vast knowledge of the resources to connect people to, when it is time to help them transition from the ward, into their homes.  The staff here seem to demonstrate a high regard and respect for the consumers that have come into their care.  They take a very holistic approach when helping people while they are "unwell", and seem to look at all dimensions, physical, emotional, spiritual and extended family to help work toward wellness.

Today there was a difficult morning report with a very unwell 20 yr old, who has done some serious self harm on herself, and in the brief time since she had been admitted, she had braided a very dangerous cord that was discovered before she could do anymore harm to herself.  I will be shadowing Mathew as he works closely with the multidimensional team to help her to get in a safer and better place.  I have not worked this intimately with individuals in acute mental health crisis, in a long time.  Each morning, at the 8:30 staff meeting, I walk out feeling a bit overwhelmed at the severity of issues and challenges ahead for these folks.  I then take a breath, look at the huge talented team committed to this Ward, and the individuals who find themselves here, and I feel thankful to be here to learn, and to contribute what I can to the healing.


Maori Concept for the day:  Te Whare Tapa Wha

The various elements to be considered within each Maori approach to wellness can differ. For example Te Whare Tapa Wha model takes into account taha wairua, taha hinengaro, taha tinana and taha whanau.

1 comment:

  1. Second week starts today. Hope it goes well. Thanks so much for sharing and giving us a window into the challenges you and your team face there. Love from your family here on Hermit Street.

    ReplyDelete