Thursday, November 18, 2010

From the heart



I realized that I haven't blogged in a week.  I have started several ideas, some about entitlement, others about ethics, but today, I tossed them both aside, and wanted to just talk from my heart about the upcoming end of this internship and things that I have learned.  It has been an incredible learning and growing time for me, and I am so thankful for this opportunity.  Today was my formal evaluation with my Field Instructor, Mathew, and my UAA Faculty, Mary Dallas.  I felt that it went well, and it was a great opportunity for me to articulate some of the lessons that I have learned as I have been placed as a social work student full time for past 2 1/2 months.  I have had a great supervisor in Mathew-who has shown me the passion and dedication, along with the ethics and values that are core to the field of social work.  He has modeled for me the example of a social worker in the confines of a institutional setting who has not compromised his own values and goals, which sometimes comes in conflict with the other multidisciplinary teams or partners.

I am thankful for the down to earth quality that embodies the people that I have met here.  The video is of the 2010 World Sheep Shearing Champion, Cam Ferguson, as he competes in a regional shearing competition. It was an incredible community event to witness, and embodies the down to earth core of the individuals here.  I am so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment